English Lesson 1
LI: To create a set of instructions
- Explore a set of instructions
- Watch this tutorial about a dance:
- Read the Happy Feet Instructions. Spend some time practising the dance, if you would like to! How do the written and the video instructions help in different ways?
- Read Instruction Features. Annotate Dance Instructions to show which of these features you can find.
2. Take notes from a video
- Watch the Cat Daddy instruction video
- Make notes to help you remember the most important parts of these instructions. (You can use words and quick sketches)
3. Now for some writing
- Use your notes to write a set of instructions for the Cat Daddy.
- Set out your Cat Daddy instructions like the Happy Feet Instructions. Try to include some of the Instruction Features.
English Lesson 2
LI: To be able to explore explanation texts
- Read the captions on Up Goer Five:
- The author challenged himself to write an explanation using only the thousand most common words in English. How well does it work as an explanation? Which sentence do you think is cleverest? Which do you think sounds the strangest?
2. Answer questions from an explanation
- Read Saturn V Stages and answer Questions 1 and 2.
English Lesson 3
LI: To be able to write my own explanation or information text.
1. Read instructions and an explanation about the same subject
- Read Skateboarding: how to get started and The Science behind the Ollie. What are the three pieces of information here that interested you the most?
- Annotate these two articles to show any Explanation Features and Instruction Features.
2.Write your own explanation or instructions
- Decide about something you know about. It could be a game, a recipe, a hobby or a sport.
- Write an article with instructions or an explanation. Use Explanation Features or Instruction Features to help you.
English Lesson 4
LI: To be able to reflect on a story
1. Examine illustrations
- Look at Images 1-4. How would you describe what they show? What can you notice that maybe someone else wouldn’t? Where in the story do they come?
- Watch the story being read (if you are able to). The story is The Day of Ahmed’s Secret so you have read this in class previously. Watch out for Images 1-4. Were they where you remembered them to be?
English Lesson 5 - Guided Reading
LI: Reading skills through visual learning
Follow the link on your worksheet to watch a short video. The link can be found at the bottom of these instructions. You are going to be using this as inspiration to practice some of our key reading skills: inference, retrieval and word understanding in context.
Watch the video through at least twice; the first time don’t do any of the questions and focus on understanding the message of the video and taking in as much information as possible. The second time you watch it, you should be trying to identify information to help you answer the questions.
Awards we have received so far.